F22Fighter.com Community

Author Topic: EA-18 F Growler is IN!!  (Read 17867 times)

February 07, 2005, 03:38:23 AM
Reply #30
  • Global Moderator
  • General Of the Board
  • CHIEF TEST PILOT
    • View Profile

but they arent doing it that way..the navy has made a descision that they no longer need a dedicated interceptor and have therefore gone for 2 strike aircraft.
We have the enemy surrounded. We are dug in and have overwhelming numbers. But enemy airpower is mauling us badly. We will have to withdraw.

a Japanese infantry commander, situation report to headquarters, Burma, WW II

February 07, 2005, 03:46:37 AM
Reply #31

oh well then what's the advantage?

February 07, 2005, 04:41:31 AM
Reply #32
  • Global Moderator
  • General Of the Board
  • CHIEF TEST PILOT
    • View Profile

the advantage is that other then the range and SO capability the SH is a better strike platform then the f-14..because it is cheaper to operate , has high BB capability and has many folds better readiness and TA rates.
We have the enemy surrounded. We are dug in and have overwhelming numbers. But enemy airpower is mauling us badly. We will have to withdraw.

March 18, 2005, 12:21:54 AM
Reply #33

don't forget that the ea- 18 has the advantage of technology and larger internal and external fuel tanks over the f-14

March 18, 2005, 02:20:55 AM
Reply #34

oh...damn..does the growler have the same dimensions as the F/A-18E/F?

March 18, 2005, 08:02:10 AM
Reply #35
  • Lt. General
  • 3-degree at USAFA
    • View Profile

i'm not sure, but i think so.

"The only time a fighter has too much gas is when it's on fire."
-CDR Tom Sobieck, VF-51, 1989

USAFA 2010.  Cross into the blue.
2010: Strength Within.

March 18, 2005, 10:21:07 AM
Reply #36
  • General Of the Board
  • Stealth Maestro Shonuff Quick
    • View Profile

I think its a modified F-18F.

If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Am I the meanest?.....Shonuff! Am I the prettiest?.....Shonuff! Am I the baddest mofo low-down around this town?.....Shonuff! Yeah.....
-The Shogun of Harlem

Ninjas are cool.
-Me!

March 19, 2005, 02:13:23 PM
Reply #37

Most of the older aircraft in service have been modified or can be modified to do diffrent roles. The best example i can think of is Australia truning its c130h hurcleus into air refueling craft.

March 19, 2005, 05:16:31 PM
Reply #38
  • Global Moderator
  • General Of the Board
  • CHIEF TEST PILOT
    • View Profile

Northrop Grumman Completes First Fuselage Section for U.S. Navy's Next-Generation Electronic Attack Aircraft

The EA-18G is expected to begin replacing the Navy's venerable EA-6B Prowler aircraft by the end of the decade. Northrop Grumman is principal subcontractor to The Boeing Company for the EA-18G, which is a variant of the combat-proven F/A-18 Super Hornet that Boeing and Northrop Grumman also produce for the Navy as the service's frontline carrier-based strike fighter.

Northrop Grumman's Integrated Systems sector produces and integrates the center/aft fuselage and all associated subsystems for the F/A-18 and EA-18G at its manufacturing facility here. Each fuselage "shipset" is delivered to Boeing's production facility in St. Louis, Mo. Northrop Grumman is also the airborne electronic-attack system integrator for the EA-18G and performs this work in Bethpage, N.Y., under a separate contract with Boeing.

"Our significant role on the EA-18G highlights Northrop Grumman's systems integration expertise," said Scott J. Seymour, corporate vice president and Integrated Systems sector president. "We are integrating an important electronic-attack capability on a combat-proven platform that will operate seamlessly in the Navy's Force Net architecture and help keep Navy aviators out of harm's way."

Like the Prowler it will replace, the EA-18G will perform surveillance and electronic jamming of enemy threat radars and communications nets. Its electronic-attack suite is based on the advanced Increased Capability (ICAP) III system developed by Northrop Grumman for the Prowler. The EA-18G's effectiveness will be enhanced by the advanced strike-fighter capabilities of the F/A-18.

"The delivery of this center-aft fuselage brings us one step closer to the advanced technology our Navy customer wants," said Chris Chadwick, vice president of F/A-18 programs for Boeing. "The EA-18G will provide the fleet with every benefit the Super Hornet brings to the warfighter today in terms of effectiveness and reliability, and will support our ground troops with a level of flexibility in airborne electronic attack that they have never experienced."

ICAP III uses a technology called selective-reactive jamming to make it more effective than jammers currently in service. Current Prowlers jam radars by transmitting electronic signals over broad frequency bands to "blind" adversary radars operating within each band. By contrast, the EA-18G will use sophisticated receivers and software to rapidly locate enemy radars and focus its jamming energy on the threat. This advanced capability is particularly effective against frequency-agile radar threats.

The ICAP III system also features a geolocation targeting capability that allows it to find and target radars and other electronic emitters.

This EA-18G will be the first of two test aircraft produced under a five-year Navy system development and demonstration contract that covers all laboratory, ground and flight-testing. The EA-18G is expected to enter initial operational capability in 2009 and gradually replace the Prowler. The Navy's current plan is to buy 90 EA-18Gs. The Northrop Grumman-built Prowler is expected to remain in service until 2012.

Northrop Grumman Integrated Systems is a premier aerospace and defense systems integration organization. Headquartered in El Segundo, Calif., it designs, develops, produces and supports network-enabled integrated systems and subsystems optimized for use on networks. For its government and civil customers worldwide, Integrated Systems delivers best-value solutions, products and services that support military and homeland defense missions in the areas of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; space access; battle management command and control; and integrated strike warfare.

March 20, 2005, 07:11:45 AM
Reply #39

How old r those f14s now, are they ones from the vietnam war becuase they must really be getting on (the airframes)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 07:12:11 AM by NZ_enthusiast »

March 21, 2005, 04:15:51 AM
Reply #40
  • General Of the Board
    • View Profile

the f-14 is over 30 years old.

btw, they came too late for vietnam.

If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

Am I the meanest?.....Shonuff! Am I the prettiest?.....Shonuff! Am I the baddest mofo low-down around this town?.....Shonuff! Yeah.....
-The Shogun of Harlem

Ninjas are cool.
-Me!

March 21, 2005, 08:30:27 AM
Reply #41
  • Lt. General
  • 3-degree at USAFA
    • View Profile

the navy is phasing them out now for the super hornet.

"The only time a fighter has too much gas is when it's on fire."
-CDR Tom Sobieck, VF-51, 1989

USAFA 2010.  Cross into the blue.
2010: Strength Within.

March 21, 2005, 04:50:26 PM
Reply #42

Oh i think that once most military equipment gets to about 30 years old it pretty has to be replaced

October 19, 2005, 01:01:01 PM
Reply #43

don't forget that the ea- 18 has the advantage of technology and larger internal and external fuel tanks over the f-14

I don't know about the larger fuel tanks, I find it hard to believe that the 18's have larger tanks, but reguardless, the F-14's still have a much farther range.

Technology isn't unique to any single aircraft design.  The airframe design of our P-3 Orion's is over 50 years old, but the technology is up to par with anything else out there, and is being updated all the time.

Oh i think that once most military equipment gets to about 30 years old it pretty has to be replaced

That's usually true for smaller aircraft that get handled roughly, but there are P-3's, B-52's, C-130's, and other planes that are well over 40 years old, but are still in full active service.  I guess the larger the plane, the longer it lasts... probabbly why the F-14's and F-4's ran for so long, they're both pretty large for carrier jets.

November 08, 2005, 04:51:26 AM
Reply #44
  • General Of the Board
    • View Profile

-The Shogun of Harlem

Ninjas are cool.
-Me!